Attack: Left Roundhouse Punch
Attack Direction: 12:00
Web of Knowledge: Punches
Family Group: Punches
32 Tech Location: Not found
16 Tech Location: Yellow #3
Form Locations: Not found in forms
Related Tracy Technique: Japanese Sword
Sword of Destruction is the 3rd technique required to obtain your yellow belt in Ed Parker’s American Kenpo. This technique is a defense against a left roundhouse punch, also known as a hook punch, placing it in the Punches category of the Web of Knowledge and the Punches Family Group of the Family Group Striking division.
This technique in its simplest form is essentially Delayed Sword performed for an attack from the opposite side, which in turn introduces you to reverse motion, how reaction can beat action and opposite motion. Like Delayed Sword can be used for a right push or a right punch, this technique will also work for a left push or a left shoulder grab or lapel grab.
- Step 1
- Step toward 6:00 with your left foot to form a right neutral bow stance,
- Deliver a right extended outward block,
- Left hand covers low.
- Step 2
- Deliver a right front snapping ball kick.
- Step 3
- Plant your right foot forward into a right neutral bow stance.
- Deliver a right snapping inward downward diagonal handsword strike.
- Step 4
- Cover toward 6:00.
In American Kenpo Names the term destruction is used to symbolize an action coming from or going to the left side of the body. In this technique, your defense ends with a handsword (sword) strike to the left side (destruction) of the opponent’s neck. Thus, Sword of Destruction serves as a reminder to the main element of this technique; a handsword (sword) strike to the left side (destruction) of the opponent’s neck.
The ideal phase of this technique has the attacker directly in front of you in a right fighting stance. He then steps forward with his left foot as he executes a left roundhouse punch to your head.
A roundhouse punch, also known as a hook punch, is a very common type of punch used by street fighters. This type of punch generates a tremendous amount of power due to the torque generated by the rotation of the body and shoulders and can cause serious injury if it makes contact. Timing is critical to avoid having this punch make contact
Basics & Maneuvers Used
- Left Reverse Step Through
- Right Neutral Bow Stance
- Right Extended Outward Block
- Left Positional Check
- Right 45° Cat Stance (transitional)
- Right Front Snapping Ball Kick
- Right Inward Downward Diagonal Handsword Strike
- Radius bone or radial nerve
- Groin or bladder
- Left side of the neck
Concepts & Principles Taught
- Angle of Cancellation
- Angle of Disturbance
- Backup Mass
- Balance Compensation
- Borrowed Reach
- Controlling the Gap
- Detaining Block
- Dimensional Zones Concept
- Marriage of Gravity
- Positional Check
- Preparatory Cocking Check
- Rebounding Check
- Reverse Motion
- What if the attacker…
- follows his left punch with a right punch?
- attempts a right punch instead of a left?
- throws a right punch followed by a left punch?
- follows his left punch with a kick?
- throws a high left roundhouse kick?
- throws a low left roundhouse kick?
- Delayed Sword
- Deflecting Hammer
- Checking the Storm
- Sword and Hammer
- Clutching Feathers
- Shielding Hammer
- Obscure Sword
- Intellectual Departure
- The 1975 Accumulative Journal indicates that your right hand should snap back to check your opponent’s left inner wrist.
- The 1987 IKKA Manuals indicate that your right hand should snap back to check your opponent’s left shoulder
- Neither the 1975 Accumulative Journal nor the 1987 IKKA Manuals indicate an angle of departure.
1975 Accumulative Journal
SWORD OF DESTRUCTION (left straight or round house punch)
- With your feet together step back with your left foot into a right neutral bow stance as you execute a right extended outward strike to left inner wrist of opponent’s left punch at this point you lift hand is covering near your solar-plexus).
- From your right neutral bow stance immediately deliver a right front snap ball kick to your opponent’s groin.
- As you plant down (employing marriage of gravity) execute a right inward handsword strike to the left side of your opponent’s neck.
- Immediately snap your right hand back to the inner wrist of opponent’s left arm to act as a check (keeping your hand open, palm up, finger pointing away from you and your right elbow anchored down to protect your right rib cage).
- No cover out is required.
Unfinished Yellow Belt Manual by Ed Parker
SWORD OF DESTRUCTION (front – left straight or roundhouse punch)
- Standing naturally, step back with your left foot toward 6:00 into a right neutral bow stance (facing 12:00), as you simultaneously execute a right extended outward block to the inner forearm of your opponent’s left punch. Your left hand should be in a positional check, covering your solar-plexus.
- Immediately slide your right foot back into a 45 degree cat stance.
- Without hesitation deliver a right front snap ball kick to your opponent’s groin. (Your kick should cause your opponent to bend forward at the waist.)
- While planting your right foot forward, inside of your opponent’s left leg, and into a right neutral bow (facing 12:00), employ Marriage of Gravity as you execute a right inward handsword strike to the left side of your opponent’s neck. (This action should cause your opponent to fall to the ground.)
- Immediately snap your right hand back to the left shoulder of your opponent to act as a check.